Monday, August 25, 2008

Cue the Music...

It's that time of the year... the bull buffalo is in the mood for some loving!! When I was at Ryne's parents' house this past weekend his dad told us to be extra careful around the bull and the male yearlings. Now I learned my lesson the last time I was out here about the buffalo and now keep an extra safe distance between me and them. Naturally I ask what's up with the bull. After a chuckle his dad informed me that his hormones are off the chart and that it's mating season. Oh...

The bull is easy to spot in the heard because he is HUGE! I mean giant!! He is definitely taller than me (I know, that doesn't say a whole lot!). And no, that is not a picture of the bull...that is one of the females! So over the course of the weekend I kept noticing that the bull would always have one of the females off by herself. Apparently he locks in on a target and then keeps her separated from the rest of the heard. Poor #31 was the victim this past weekend. Every time we saw the bull, #31 was right there with him. And before you ask, no, I did not see any buffalo love making!! But it just goes to show you, that even female buffalo play hard to get and want nothing to do with males!!

On another note, the calves that I got to see in early June have turned dark brown and are now starting to sprout their horns. I cannot believe how big they have gotten. There are still two calves that are the cinnamon color because they were born late.

0 comments: