Wednesday, December 3, 2008

My Poor, Poor Hurricanes


While it has been a good week for my Tigers, it has been anything but that for my Hurricanes. It's been an up and down few weeks for the Canes with wins becoming fewer and farther between. Much like last season, injuries have plagued the team with many of our key players being sidelined with injuries. At times the Canes seemed to lack the intensity and desire to win. At other times they gave it their all yet still managed to come up short. Today the team announced the firing of Peter Lavioulette. I was somewhat surprised but I guess I shouldn't have been. His job was on the line at the end of last season after failing to make the playoffs for the past two seasons. But despite that, he did lead the Canes to the Stanely Cup in 2006 and is the winningest American born coach in the NHL. Lavioulette was with the Canes for a little over five years. What is interesting is that Lavioulette is being replaced by the coach who he replaced! Paul Maurice will once again be behind the bench for the Canes. In fact, Maurice even coached the team when they were still the Whalers back in Hartford!! I am not sure if this will make a huge difference with how the team has been playing but we shall see. There is a game tomorrow so it will be interesting to see how the team and fans respond. At any rate, welcome back to Carolina, Maurice.

0 comments: