Thursday, November 12, 2009

Hello... is anyone there?

After several reminders and requests for updates, I am finally back to my blog! So much for those plans of mine to do catch-up posts from the summer. I thought about still doing my catch-up posts but I figured in order to move forward I need to start fresh... or else I might not ever got back to my blog!! I think that was part of the reason I had been avoiding my blog... I did not want to tackle all of my posts I had wanted to catch up on. The thought of all that I wanted to say and cover overwhelmed me! So... I guess I will just give you a brief update on the past few months and promise to try my best to keep updating.

So without further ado.. here is a condensed overview of the last few months:

My summer was capped off with an amazing trip to Ireland (this trip really does deserve its own post but I suspect that it would take forever... maybe one day I will do a special post dedicated to Ireland). I went with my parents, Rob, Margaux, my Aunt Susie, and cousin Amy. We spent the first few days in Dublin and had an amazing time. We did TONS of walking and hit all of the sites: Guinness (it's a lovey day for a Guinness!!), Jameson Brewery, Temple Bar, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin Castle, Trinity College, etc. We celebrated my parents' birthday at a fabulous restaurant along the River Liffy as well. Despite a "minor issue" with our car rentals (read: we reserved 2 automatics cars since my dad is the only one who kind of knows how to drive standard but they rental company only had 1 for us. After much battling my dad finally caved in and was brave enough to drive the standard -- on the wrong side of the road!!) we drove across the country to the west coast. I truly LOVE the west coast as that is where my family is from and how I always picture Ireland. We had to most amazing time there -- Rachel's wedding was so much fun!! It started at 2pm and literally it went until 6am!!! We had a great time with family and did some traveling up and down the coast. I even milked a cow on the farm. But I think the highlight of my trip was climbing Green Hill. Green Hill is behind my Granny Mae's house (originally my great grandfather's house). At the top you have the most spectuclare view -- you can see out to the Irish Sea along with all of the rolling green hills. This year I climbed it with Rob, Amy, and my Irish cousins Leslie and Charlie. Leslie is my age and he is my partner in crime. Every time we get together we always have a wild night out in the pubs. It was great to be able to spend some time with Leslie since he had recently moved to Austrailia. I am so ready to head back to Ireland.. it truly is one of my favorite places in the world!!

Leslie, me, and Rob on Green Hill

After quickly regrouping on the Cape I returned to Raleigh. I had a few days to get settled before classes started up and the semester was back in full swing. This year I had a harder time than usual getting back into the groove. Perhaps it was because I was missing Ireland and my daily Guinness! I flew out to visit Ryne the end of August for his birthday and one last summer trip. We had a great time together and headed up to the Black Hills for the long weekend. As usual time zipped by and I was back in NC before I realized it.


And of course every fall means Clemson football!! It was great to head back to Clemson and to see and spend time with Marianne and her family. Her kids just crack me up and I love being able to spend time with them. Clemson got off to somewhat of a rough start but in the last few weeks they have been able to turn things around. I just love my Tigers and I hope they are able to keep on winning!! (On of my highlights from Clemson football weekends isn't so much football related as it is Emma related. On the drive home after a game Emma was the only one who was still awake. Since I was sitting next to her in the car she chatted and played with me. It was during that ride that I taught Emma to say "seriously" - which is one of my popular sayings. Let me just say this... hearing her say it is by far the cutest thing in the world!!! Mary Mac also melted my heart when she left a Care Bear for me in her bed. And of course Andrew is my little buddy so listening to his stories is always a riot as well).


Ryne came out in early October for a quick visit. We saw opening night for the Hurricanes. The next night we went to the U2 concert which was simply awesome. What a fantastic show!! We went with some of my good friends, Jane & Tamara, and had a blast. This was Tamara's first time ever tailgating and she is now hooked! Since it was a perfect weekend weather wise we also headed to the farmer's market (picked up some pumpkins and mums) and spent the day at the NC Zoo. It was just a perfect weekend.



But the fall is not just football.. it also means the start of hockey season. What can I say, I love sports!! During the off season the Canes picked up some key players and there were high hopes that the teams was going to have a strong season. Well... that did not end to be the case. The season is now about 1/4 under way and the Canes have only managed to win two.. yes TWO.. games!! They are currently in a 13 game losing streak. Bad... so bad... It's almost at the point where it is so bad it is comical. Yes, there have been several injuries to our top players but it is more than just that. The Canes are OLD (oldest team in the NHL) and it shows. We are slow. I don't know what it will take to get them back on the winning side of things. Several players have been put on waivers and I suspect that we will see a few players get traded. It just makes me sad... because I sure do love my Canes!!


My parents came to Raleigh for a week and we had a great visit. We did lots around the house - planted pansies and daffodil bulbs as well as installed motion sensor lights on my front porch. We also went to a couple of hockey games (obviously both were losses) and went out to dinner. I love having my parents here and it was said to see them go. But... the day after they left I flew out to spend some time with Ryne and his family. As you may know, Ryne's mom and grandmother are both battling cancer. It was important for me to be there to support them and do whatever I could to make their lives easier. We had a nice visit and I was able to help out and spend time with his family. Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers.

Whew! I think that more or less sums up the Fall. This weekend Bridget is coming to visit. I am so excited to have her come to Raleigh! We're going to Hurricanes game on Fri night and then to the Clemson at NC State game on Saturday. It will be a sports filled weekend but I know it will be a fun one!!

2 comments:

The Baur Family said...

Hooray! You're back! Great post, glad to have you back in the blogosphere. Hope you and Bridget have a great visit, and just so you know, if the Tigers lose, it's all on you! ;)

The Russells said...

Thanks for FINALLY posting! :) It took me several reads to get through it all. I hope you don't leave us hanging that long again!