Monday, November 16, 2009

Bridget's Visit

This past weekend one of my closest friends from childhood came to visit me. I was so excited to see Bridget...sadly it had been well over a year since the last time we had been together!! There is just no excuse for that. For those of you who don't know, I have known Bridget since we were around the age of 7 yrs old. We first met through the town soccer program. While we were never on the same team I always remembered playing against her -- even back then Bridget was super tall. In 5th grade we both ended up on the town's travel soccer team together. All of the girls on the team were from the same elementary school.. I was the only one who went to a different school. So needless to say I never had a go-to partner when it came time to partner up. But one day Bridget said she would be my partner and I guess you could say that is when we became friends. As the years went on we became closer until we became inseparable. We shared a love for many things, of which included the Hartford Whalers and Geoff Sanderson. Ahh... let's just pause for a moment to admire our hockey love:

Now I won't bore you with the fact that I knew every little fact there is to know about him. Nor will I bore with the details about how I was convinced I was going to marry him and that my parents were slightly concerned. Instead, I will share with you how Bridget and I spent hours cheering on the Whalers and admiring Geoff Sanderson (we even discussed this weekend how we were convinced back in the day that he would make eye contact with us from the bench during the games).

It only seemed fitting that I take Bridget to see a Hurricanes game on Friday night, since they were the Hartford Whalers after all. Plus, the associate head coach of the Hurricanes is Ron Francis, who the first hockey crush for both of us. Unfortunately the Canes lost (again... that was loss #14 IN A ROW - and interestingly enough, we lost for the 14th time in a row with 14 secs to go in overtime). Despite the loss we had a great time reliving our love for hockey and the good old days of high school when we used to follow the players (some of you may use the word stalk but I think that is just a little too harsh :) ).

Ron Francis is in the center

On Saturday we got up nice and early and headed off to cheers on my Tigers! It was such a nice treat to be able to see Clemson play and only have to drive 10 mins!! Yes, that's right.. Clemson was playing at NC State! Bridget and I met up with some friends and we tailgated before heading into the game. It was another Tiger vicotry and by the end of the game there was definitely more orange than red left in the stadium. I think Bridget is still recovering from the game and how into I get. It was great that she was able to experience Clemson football.. next time it will have to be in Death Valley though!!


After the game we went to dinner with my friend Tamara. It was such a great way to end the night... lots of good food and plenty of wine. Bridget and I then came back to my house and just hung out and caught up. I am so glad that I was able to spend time with her this weekend!

1 comments:

The Baur Family said...

I am rolling from laughing at you about your Geoff infatuation. So funny! Glad you two had a good visit. Great pic of the two of you by the way!