Saturday, May 24, 2008

Nature Walk

Let me just say, it is a beautiful day here on the Cape! The sun is out... the temperature has gone up, and the wind died down. I decided I would take a walk today to get some fresh air. My walked started on the Lady Slipper Trail, which starts in the woods behind my parents' house. This trail goes through the woods and around several of
the kettle ponds. Over the winter the town did some work on the trails and added some informational signs as well as built a new handicap accessible bridge over one of the brooks. Funny thing is, no one in a wheel chair could ever make it to the bridge!! The trails are somewhat narrow, sand, and rather bumpy from all of the tree roots. And the kicker... it cost $70,000 to build the bridge!!! In case you are wondering... the
brook that it spans is maybe 3 feet wide at most.. and you're lucky if you find a spot in the brook that is a foot deep! When I was growing up, my brother, cousins, and I used to cross the brook by either jumping across it or using a tree limb. Lady Slipper trail brought me by Herring Brook, which connects the kettle ponds to the bay. Each year the herring return to the kettle ponds to lay their eggs. I lucked out and was able to see the herring waiting to return to the bay. Herring are somewhat endangered and it is illegal to catch or harm herring. The town also blocks off the brook and only opens it when when
it is high tide so that they don't get stranded at low tide. From there I walked down to the bay. There were several men surf casting off the beach for stripers. It was really nice at the beach and there were even some people swimming!! I did find lots of sea glass on my walk. I also saw a few horseshoe crabs. It was such a nice, enjoyable walk. I think I will have to do it again tomorrow!!





0 comments: