Sunday, September 28, 2008

All Good Deeds End With Being Questioned by the Cops

This past weekend I took a mini tour of Raleigh because I was taking Flat Stanley around to see the sights and sounds of the area (more on Flat Stanley to come later). So after visiting the Farmers' Market I headed to downtown Raleigh. Flat Stanley and I visited the State Capitol building and took a few pictures. As I was getting ready to leave, I noticed a bird flopping around on the ground. It just so happened to be a red-headed woodpecker. After watching the bird for a few minutes it became clear that it had a broken wing. And as you may know, I have a very soft spot for animals and often go out of my way to help and protect them. I called an animal rescue group who agreed to come get the bird. After making the necessary arrangements with them I was set to head home. Just as I was walking away I caught something out of the corner of my eye... it was a hawk perched on a tree limb just above the woodpecker! There was no way I could leave the bird now knowing that as soon as I walked away he would quickly become lunch for the hawk. So for the next hour and a half I found myself standing guard as the hawk flapped his wings and screeched at me -- he was one very unhappy hawk! At some point a police car pulled up next to me. Now you have to understand that there was not a road where I was. As soon as I saw the police car I thought to myself, "huh...that is weird. Oh wait, he is staring right at me!" Next thing I know the cop is getting out of his car and asking me to come over to him. The conversation went something like this:

PO: Ma'am, I'm going to need for you to step over her for a minute
Me (dumbfounded): Uh...ok, sure thing.
PO: There have been reports of suspicious activity around the Capitol Building. It's been reported that you have been standing around the building for over an hour and a half. I need for you to explain to me what you've been doing.
Me: Ummm... I've been guarding a woodpecker?
PO: Excuse me?
Me: There's a woodpecker with a broken wing and I've been protecting it from the hawk while I wait for the rescue league.

He clearly wasn't getting it so I had to walk him over to the bird. The police officer then had that "ah ha!" moment and all was well. I think it's also important to know that I was wearing a bright orange shirt in honor of the Clemson game that day. Yes... a great disguise for all of the mischief I was planning on causing that day!

The rescue group showed up and determined that the woodpecker had a broken collar bone and is expected to have a full recovery!

1 comments:

The Russells said...

This story had me laughing out loud in my office! :) Thanks for that.