Saturday, June 20, 2009

Shen Wei Dancers

Last night I went to the Durham Performing Arts Center to see the Shen Wei Dancers with my friend Tamara. I had no idea what to expect and boy was I in for a treat!! It turns out that last night was the kick-off for the American Dance Festival. As part of the festival there were dance troupes all around the Performing Arts Center dancing. There were girls lined up along the sidewalks dancing around trees, guys dancing on the hand railings, couples dancing on benches, and so on. It was quite a site and perhaps a little too much for me!! There were even dancers inside on the stairs and in the bathroom!! The women in the bathroom caught me so off guard that I just stood there and stared. The one girl looked like a crack whore dancing on the counter.. it was so bizarre.

One of the girls dancing outside along the trees


Girl dancing on the bathroom counter

The Shen Wei dancers were interesing... not necessarily my cup of tea but it was fun to watch. The choreographer was the same man who choreographed the opening ceremonies for the Summer Olympics last year. I think it was a little to artsy for me, especially since one whole section of the performance was nude. Hmmm... I think I prefer more classical and traditional dance.

0 comments: