Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Remember what I was saying in a post not all that long ago about how I have the worst luck when it comes to traveling?? Well, that luck has returned!! I am supposed to fly home to the Cape later on today. The only reason I am still in Raleigh is because NC State has graduation today. Yes... NC State is that university... the one who holds graduation on the Saturday before Christmas. To say faculty are not pleased is an understatement. Who knows what they were thinking when they decided to schedule graduation. But anyways... I digress.

So my plan for today was to go to graduation and then head straight to the airport to catch a 5pm flight to Providence. Rob & Margaux were to pick me up and I was going to spend the night with them. The three of us were then going to make our way to the Cape tomorrow morning to celebrate the Holcomb Family Christmas since Rob & Margaux will be in Maine this year. Well Mother Nature had different plans. Instead the mother of all storms is slamming the east coast -- from Florida all of the way up to Maine. Raleigh even got some snow/ice yesterday before it turned over to rain (on a side note, the Weather Channel keeps showing footage of NC drivers sliding all over the place -- classic!!). I was supposed to change planes in Baltimore. But as luck would have it, Baltimore is getting the worst of the snow (1-2 ft!). So it's looking like I won't be flying any where today. But what has me concerned is that the storm is supposed to turn into a blizzard for the Cape Saturday night into Sunday afternoon. If this holds to be true who knows if and when I will make it home. To say I am sad and disappointed is an understatement. I am not sure when we will be able to do the Holcomb Family Christmas now. I am sure when this is all said and done I will have some good stories to tell... right?!? So wish me luck as I attempt to make my way home for Christmas!!

0 comments: